Thursday, September 11, 2008

Manners


I openly admit one of my biggest pet peeves is table manners. My sister and I both have a problem with some of the judges we see on TOPCHEF and Iron Chef America. I am all for the European style of eating (no fork shifting), but we find that many are eating from muscle memory.

I know that I have my faults, and try my best to set a good example. It can be very difficult. Ella has been taught to hold her utensils correctly (no shoveling food at my table). She has been taught to sit facing forward, asked to be excused, etc. Most of the time I think she knows what she is doing wrong and chooses to do it anyway. As many times as I tell Ella "if there is food in your mouth, your mouth should be closed" I would hope she learned. Unfortunately, this is one of the things that I struggle with from time to time. She points out my faults, much to her pleasure, and my chagrin.

A couple of weeks ago she asked to be excused while I had my mouth full. I pointed to my mouth and shook my head. Which is when she said, "Mommy, finish your bite and say yes."

No comments: